FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Currency for one-way tickets from another country
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:12 am
Globaliser
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Often1
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
I also discovered that the currency in which a fare is quoted can affect the price. A year or two back I was asking the UK call centre whether they could book me an Ex Eur ticket in GBP rather than EUR. They were able to book it at the quoted EUR price with no problem (so it was not a point of sale issue), but translating the fare to GBP cam up with a much higher figure. Very odd and they could not explain the difference.
That has been common worldwide for many years. Different market = different price. While that does not match 100% to currency used, the fact that one is paying in "foreign" currency suggests that one is part of that currency's market.
That rather sounds to me like it was exactly a point of sale issue. AIUI the way that UK call centres work, when pricing in EUR the relevant EU POS is used; but when pricing in GBP the UK POS is used.

So that could be why the EUR fare was lower (using availability from a lower booking class) but the GBP quote had to be booked into a higher booking class.

Whenever I get something like this, I ask the agent what booking classes are being used for the unexpectedly high fare. If that doesn't identify the problem, the next question is what fare basis/bases are being used (sometimes a specific fare basis has to be forced by the agent).