FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:49 pm
landrew

Programs: UA G, *G, Global Entry, Marriott, Hilton, Fairmont, Hyatt, Starwood etc
Very helpful as always, jsloan. (this was a trip from your help last year)

However, new wrinkle. I booked my husband, than rebooked for myself only, using the residual value on this $866 ticket from last year. Required an agent since I needed to match my hubby's, and also wanted an upgradeable fare matching his, and this can't be done from the canceled / change flight page.
After lengthy conv with agent I was charged of course for the $300, and a change fare and a copay and the miles.

I then realized there were better fares available. Went to cancel my rebooked flight (based on the prior canceled flight residual) 21 hours later, and never got a cancellation email.

When I searched for the reservation again in reservations to be sure it had canceled, it was not in past or canceled reservations. So I looked it up by record locator.

I got a canceled flight indicator which said it had a residual value of the price paid for the fare (not including the upgrade fee and change fare fee to make it upgradeable and of course not including my miles). I am ASSUMING the refunds for the upgrade fee and change fares and miles will appear later.

However, it now appears that in order to get my rebooked FARE value back I will have to pay another $300 change fee.

Surely a fare purchased using residual value from another flight is still cancelable in 24 hours without penalty?
If not, wouldn't the agent who sold me this ticket be required to tell me it is NOT? I was not warned, or I might have stayed with the ticket rather than forfeit $300.

Before I contact Premier Desk again, anything I should know about such an (admitttedly complicated) situation?

Thanks.