FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:04 am
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Majuki
I am imagining this is why it is showing Lifetime Platinum on the website and app and not Lifetime Platinum Premier as well. There previously, at least to my knowledge, was no Lifetime Platinum Premier level.

However, while one would understand there might be a couple of hiccups and omissions with the changeover, I feel like this integration comes across as amateurish. As of this morning, one cannot combine accounts still, and one has to be careful which account to use to make bookings to get the highest status recognized. There are discrepancies abound, and we're going back and forth debating what it all truly means. I expect Marriott Rewards to get inundated with calls when the lines open up on Monday morning.

It would have been simpler to maintain the legacy Marriott program and levels to avoid confusion - even though SPG loyalists would be howling - or go with something completely different and not reuse the names of elite tiers but with new definitions and benefits.
From what I see they are doing just what they said they would be doing. The messages I got were that we will get a new account number for SPG accounts and that we will be told when we would be able to combine accounts and that has not been sent yet. If your stays are in the near term, yes, you will want to pick the account with the higher status (presuming if it's a point stay you have the points in that account). They also suggested doing the combining at least three days before an upcoming stay so the changes propagate through the system.

Pretty much on mark for those that kept up with the communications.