FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:40 am
farnorthtrader

Originally Posted by GoPhils

This! Sure Marriott maybe could have done things a bit differently, and in the end I have a feeling that they’ll refund the 30k point differences, but they could have easily stopped selling the legacy travel package certificates when they announced they were going to raise the prices. In which case I’m sure people would have complained. Threatening to move hotel chains completely, class actions, etc. seems way over the top considering anyone that bought a TP since it was announced they were changing is getting a significantly better deal than someone who were to buy a new TP today, just maybe not as much of a better deal as they thought. First world problems for sure.

I think the only people that have legitimate complaints are those that bought the TP’s prior to the announcement of the changes to TP costs in the new program. And I’m sure that number is FAR less than the number of people that bought them since, fueled by blogger and forum hysteria.
this could certainly be looked at the opposite way, that they announced the new pricing in order to drive up the sale of the old packages, which they knew were going to be devalued, making Marriott more culpable.