FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Varna - Golden Sands {BGR} (no longer Honors)
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:12 am
englisha

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
So, as no one has posted about a stay since 2013, I thought id share my experiences this weekend at the Double tree Golden sands, Varna

We stayed as 2 adults and 2 children booked in the cheapest category double room. We were delighted to be upgraded to a suite which was very spacey and had a large balcony overlooking both pools (One from the Helios and one from the doubletree). The bed and bathroom were of a good quality, much as you would expect from such a hotel. The pool was much quieter than the pool next door (which it seemed you could also use) and there were enough sunbeds for everyone. For the price we paid (54 euro), this all sounds like a great deal.

There were a number of issues which anyone who has frequented Hilton hotels will instantly notice. Check-in is strictly enforced at 2pm with seemingly no exceptions. Therefore at 2-3pm the desk is overrun with people and despite a HHonors sign, it was unmanned. At check-in there was no acknowledgement of status (later found out that they have 2 systems and only the manger has access to the Hilton one), and only a generic printout of the AI benefits given to us, even though we were B&B. Also, we were given a physical key to the room which didnt work and when we went to reception we were told that they couldnt give us a card key as they had run out. The duplicate key didnt work well either, but we managed with help from the cleaning lady.

The room, while spacey, had a terrible sofa, which looked like a rottweiler had attacked it as it was so badly damaged. I really cant believe the hotel could present this as a sofa. However, as I mentioned the rest of the room was fine. Breakfast was also terrible, with little choice and everything of a low quality. Old cucumbers and tomatoes, hot dog sausages and runny egg, really not worth getting up for.

I went with zero expectations so the fact that we got upgraded, it did exceed my expectations. That being said, the hotel caters almost entirely for AI package guests from Europe and is almost unrecognisable as a Hilton hotel. As the price compared to other hotels was good, I don't feel like I got a bad deal. But if you go, don't expect a 5 star hotel or 5 star service or youll be disappointed.