FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Business Class Awards to Australia from US in Oct Nov
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:38 pm
sidharth134

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis First, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
It's highly unlikely you can find 3x business class awards on one flight between the USA and Australia. These routes are some of the most difficult J awards to secure. With some flexibility, 1 seat isn't too difficult. Finding 2 seats is almost impossible and 3 is a pipe dream I'm afraid.

Being on the east coast you do have a lot of potential options, as you stated you can connect in the DFW/IAH hubs or even with AC at YVR. Unfortunately, none will be easy.

You may have some luck connecting in Asia. It is a lot longer journey, but finding 3 J seats is definitely easier this way. For example Cathay through HKG, or Singapore via SIN. Or even, connecting the long way around in DXB or AUH.

Another potential is flying in F to HNL then flying on HA J to SYD. HA can be booked with AA miles or VA points. Fiji is another potential connecting point. FJ and HA J class are not the best products in the world but still nice.

If you can snag a single J award on VA, they do tend to open up award inventory at the last minute if seats are empty. So you could possibly snag more seats at the last second. A bit risky though, as these flights can be full. IME most of the other airlines on this route will not open up J award space at the last minute.

I believe you need to be an Australian or NZ resident to open a VA (Velocity) account. So, you may not be able to do this.
I am getting 1 seat in October and November on UA from SFO due to Plat status.

Yes, East Coast has some options.
Yes, I am open to DFW, IAH or even YVR.

I have not looked at HNL route, will take a look.

I was checking Delta for VA - plenty seats to Melbourne - in same days - they have 4 seats but only availability is next week. I was envisioning - using Amex -> Virgin Atlantic Promo to book VA seats - only if there seats.

Alternatively,
I am thinking to book economy on UA - FLL to IAH to SYD (Fastest Route) - enough miles to block 6 seats in Economy.
Then put an upgrade request at the last minute?

Is that too crazy?