FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:11 pm
SP03

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JustinTJ
This is 100% valid, a big problem was blog hype train that likely got many people to buy them for the airline miles hoping for a windfall without a plan on how to use the actual hotel stay. Whipped a lot of people into a frenzy and now the party's over.

I've read every page of this thread, usually right before bed each night. A lot of people, even on here, were buying things they didn't need or understand because they were told they should.

That's why I gave Greg a kudos in my post above.
Totally agree about the blog frenzy. I was so tempted to get one after reading through all the blogs. Ultimately decided against it because I have plenty of miles and would rather have the points to book hotels in the combined program. Maybe I could’ve made out big with the Cat 9 certs. But i wouldn’t have known and prob wouldn’t ended up with 7 nights in Cat 1-4 that I don’t really want to stay at. So in the end, I didn’t gamble so no win here. Or loss.

But I don’t really understand the anger. People here decided to take on the gamble knowing that it’s completrly up to Marriott to map these categories. Marriott never promised to make these certs MORE valuable after the transition. Having been on the mileage train for years, I expect devaluation over time and with each transition.