FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:16 pm
JustinTJ

Programs: DL-PM, Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott-Titanium, Hilton-Diamond
Marriott Travel Package Arbitrage

Greg nailed it, even worst-case scenario. This is the sole reason I booked a cat 9. New cat 6 gives many nice flexible options without a need to rush and book now. In the meantime, my old cat 9 certificate is tied to a property that just went up to 60k per night that I would be happy to stay at. Bases were covered.

Some folks got greedy, but I wanted the closest thing to a “sure win”. I can understand being annoyed with old cat 6 and 8 losing 30k and the peak redemption value assignment. Not the same with Tier 1-3, as 50k points is the same for old Tier 1-3 and new category 6.

I'll never understand why people gamble that can't afford to lose or can't grasp that concept that they may lose. Enormous heads up time to book and attach, clearly stated that terms wouldn't be released until merger. Still people think they have a right to always win.

Here's some tips: 1) Life is not fair. 2) Fair is not equal. 3) Don't play the game unless you're willing to lose; because you're not always going to win in life, sports, gambling, or Marriott travel packages.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
As someone who is not afraid to admit it. You are right that I was wrong about a certificate conversion. However, you also confirmed for me that an old Category 9 will not be a New Category 7. Thank you. 5 out of six predictions isn't too bad.

I don't understand why some people are upset. If you can't afford to loose on a gamble, you shouldn't have gambled at all. The value is similar, expecting anything more is reckless. Had you attached your certificate you would have been able to request a refund of points where your reservation now requires fewer. People were encouraged to "atrach" their certificates in the old program for maximum benefit. If you didn't, should you expect maximum benefit?

Whatever you are feeling today, self inflicted or not, at least you have a whole month to look over the properties and choose that perfect vacation spot. Tier 4-5, enjoy your Bora Bora or Maldives stay. There won't be a lot of competition from the irrational thinkers, just as I had predicted.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

James