FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Driving: JFK to Providence, return
View Single Post
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:43 am
Analise
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Thank you everyone for chiming in, providing useful information (even though some that I could not use). I've decided to take Amtrak to Penn Station, then take LIRR to Jamaica, following by AirTrain to JFK.

How is the transfer at Penn Station from Amtrak to LIRR? Signage good? Any stairs to climb (think luggage)?
Platforms have elevators. They also have escalators but that doesn't mean they will be either turned on or going up so you can always use the elevators. To make it easier, you might want to sit toward the back half of the Amtrak train (sit on the left side for the coastal view) because the LIRR main area is on the 7th Avenue side of Penn. Plus there are more ticket machines there.

As for elevators back down to the LIRR platforms, you'll see them at the Central Concourse. Scroll to the Lower Level Map and you'll see where the Central Concourse is.

Signage to get to the LIRR from departure of your Amtrak train is good. I don't believe there is signage about elevators which is why I linked the map for you.

Last edited by Analise; Aug 18, 2018 at 1:50 pm