FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where are you going next?
View Single Post
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:52 pm
GetSetJetSet
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Interesting rating! Any chance getting a review of the Israel properties?
Certainly. The Ritz in Herzliya is a bit outside Tel Aviv. There's not much to do in the area, so if the 15-20 min back and forth to the city is a concern, keep that in mind. I'd stayed at this RC before, so I knew this in advance. The rooms are nice, there's a great rooftop pool, it's the soft product that's the problem. This is like a RC building being staffed by a 3-4* crew.

The Scots was lovely. Beautiful hotel grounds, close to the Sea of Galilee, nice gym, decent pool. Staff were the best of any hotel we stayed at in Israel. We were only there for one night, but all the meals seem to be buffet style in the hotel if that's a concern.

King David looks tired, part of the hotel is being renovated. As a result, there were signs of construction in some places. Again, as seems to be the trend in Israel, we did not have a positive customer service experience here. The first room I was shown had poor aircon and I could hear everything in the room next door through the walls. They offered me another room that was "basically the same," but was clearly smaller. I refused, then had to leave for a dinner engagement. When I returned, they tried to show me another room about 1/2 the size (but for the same price of course) and I again refused. Finally they showed me a decent room and I agreed to move. They told me while the room was clean, it needed to be signed off on again before I could move. I spent ~1 hour waiting for this to happen. Finally after three phone calls, I was allowed to move to the new room well after 10pm. Very relaxing intro to the hotel. Just because I was feeling petty and angry at the hotel by this point, I went over the room with a fine tooth comb. Even after the cleaning and "inspection" that was required before I could move there, I found and photographed various parts of the room, including the bedding that were still dirty. In the aftermath of this the GM said she was going to make things right and would contact me later in the day to figure out a solution...she never called, nor did anyone else from the hotel. If this is the level of service from a "5-star" hotel, color me unimpressed. I also didn't care for the pool area.

Basically, if you go to Israel, don't expect luxury or to feel like you're getting a hotel/service commensurate with the price paid. I don't know about the new Setai or the Norman in TLV, but for the Ritz and the King David, lower your expectations.