FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Phone lost at IAH (17 Aug 2018) & now found
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:14 pm
economyplusfan

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
To the OP, how did someone steal a phone from you? Or would it be better worded as someone found your misplaced phone?
I put my phone down in a public restroom as I washed my hands, turned away for a few seconds to dry my hands, and then turned back. My phone was gone. Now you might say, "are you sure you put it down there?". After the fact these are exactly the questions one asks. I know I had it with me 30 second earlier, because I used it to check my gate location (E1) after coming through security (where it was by definition in my bag) and that is why it was in my hand and not in my bag. It could have dropped to the ground in those 30 seconds, I guess. But I had my printed boarding pass in my hand, too (no gate listed on it), and I put that down too, under my phone. When I turned back the boarding pass was there, but not the phone. By this point I was on my way to E1, and so I know I had my phone in the last 30 seconds since I did not know what gate to go to when I went through security. But I am willing to allow that I cannot prove it was stolen,and there is no CCT in the restrooms. In any event, if I had misplaced it, how strange that whoever found it would not simply turn it over to the nearest TSA or gate agent, but instead take it in a joy ride all around the airport.

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
If you realized it was missing before boarding; why not alert the gate agent of the dilemma and standby for a later flight, while staying in IAH.
Yes, I could have done this. Because of the event I was flustered. I somehow thought that Find My iPhone would work: I would message the thief that I know where the phone is and they need to give it back to me. I have never lost a phone before, so I was in rookie mode.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 17, 2018 at 2:50 pm Reason: repaired quote