FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Phone lost at IAH (17 Aug 2018) & now found
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:03 pm
fastair

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by economyplusfan
I was indeed in the air when it ended up at its final resting place. Otherwise, I would have torn the whole of concourse E up looking for it.

Having just watched Murder on the Orient Express, my deduction that it was in a garbage can comes from the following careful observations: 1) it was stationary for so long after moving about for about an hour. If it were left out in the open someone would have found it and likely moved it to a UA desk or the lost and found or responded to the "If found please call xxx xxx-xxxx" message that I set remotely (one can do all of this with the Find My iPhone app); 2) there being no response when I made the phone ring remotely on several occasions; and 3) the GPS location is more in the center of the terminal than where the UA gates are.

I have no idea who stole it. The police did say they would look at tape to see if they could identify the thief.
Except the gps function inside a building isn’t gps, it’s just an approximation from cell towers. I work at the airport and when I track mine (inside) it often shows in the middle of the tarmac. Location accuracy declines without direct line of sight to satellites