FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where are you going next?
View Single Post
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:14 am
HKTraveler

Really busy summer for me and after doing HK, Taipei, HK, NYC, Kyoto, HK, NYC, Italy, HK, have to say i am travelled out and need to spend some time at home to recuperate. Did brief review of restaurants on DiningBuzz couple days back and will do the same for hotels and here it goes:

(Will start to try rating places as well on a scale of 0.0 to 5.0)

Greenwich Hotel, NYC, USA 3.5
- short one night stay. Not the style of decor I like but I can see why it is attractive. The breakfast space out in the garden is especially attractive and a nice respite from Nyc craziness. Location is very quite convenient though I prefer the Edition. The turn down service was a big problem for me though as they didn't draw the blinds and I didn't realize there are black-out blinds until check-out. Doubt I will return

Ritz Carlton, Kyoto, Japan 4.2
- great concierge service on helping with restaurant reservations. Not a big fan of the lobby since I find it dark and small but the rooms are perfect. Stayed in a Kamogawa luxury room by myself and I think this is perfect for one person. Very comfortable to laze around especially after two long flights. Location is acceptable as it is within walking distance to Gion and the shopping area around Nishiki Market. Thought about trying out the FS but couldn't bring myself together after realizing how poor a location it is in. One big downside is cost since RC is priced quite a bit more than other hotels in Kyoto but given no better options, this will be my go to hotel in Kyoto until something better comes along. Wasn't a big fan the last time I was here but have to say the hotel is growing on me

The Edition, NYC, USA 3.8
- Picked this hotel mostly for its location and its modern decor. Concierge team was very helpful and got us two difficult reservations at restaurants. Liked the hardware and the decor and the only complaint is the water pressure on the East facing side of the building. It seems to be fine on the other side but I am one who likes good water pressure and this one was barely acceptable. There were some insect bites in the first room and have to switch room. Good breakfast in their restaurant and particularly liked the retro NYC-style decor there. Loved the location which allows me to walk to Union Square area, Midtown and Shake Shack/Eataly are just right across the street. Will gladly stay here again

JK Place Roma, Rome, Italy

Palazzo Avino, Ravello, Italy

Palazzo Manfredi, Rome, Italy