FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice on a points re-deposit request for early checkout
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:46 pm
jimbohoward69

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
It's a tough one here. Per the Hilton Honors T&C: 10. A Reward Stay reservation is valid for the room accommodations stated thereon at one room at one hotel for one stay (as that term is defined herein) and as provided on the Reward Confirmation document. To change the location of a Reward Stay reservation, the Member must first cancel the existing Reward Stay reservation and then book the new Reward Stay reservation at the desired property. To change the dates of a Reward Stay reservation, the Member should contact Hilton Reservations and Customer Care prior to arriving at the hotel for the Reward stay. Hotel agents will not be able to alter the dates of any reward stays for a Members, and the Member could be subject to Points forfeiture.

So the early checkout would have had to be known prior to the trip, which obviously isn't always going to be the case as life happens and you may need to change your plans mid-stay. I don't see any allowance for a stay that was shortened during the trip. In this case, it does sound like both the hotel and phone agent gave you correct info. The issue is that the hotel appears to be unwilling to submit the request for point redemption, so they didn't offer you that option.
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Thank you for the post jeffandnicole. Using the rule you cited if the property does not want the points refunded they should not shorten his stay and check him out a day early. Since they apparently did that they are by default giving Honors permission to refund the points. The property should not be able to now deny the refund.
Thank you both for the great feedback! The front desk agent was in fact able to alter the dates of my reward stay "after the fact". My original reservation was 9-12 August but my receipt upon checkout shows "Arrival Date - 9 Aug" and "Departure Date - 11 Aug"...yet 209,000 points have been deducted. So, "on paper", I was charged 104,500 points per night instead of standard room rate of 70,000.

The question now is with whom do I continue the conversation? The hotel or HHonors? When I first contacted the Diamond Desk, they were adamant there was nothing they could do but I guess they weren't given the full story (that I have "proof" my stay was only 2 nights but was charged 209,000 points). Sorry for all the questions...just frustrated.