FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta MD-88/90 Retirement Tracking Thread
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:14 pm
meh130

Originally Posted by Jeff767

The engines in use on the MD-90's are used extensively worldwide on the A320. There are no real overhaul issues on them.
I have seen the same comment regarding the uniqueness of the V2500-D5 engine elsewhere. Wikipedia's V2500 page states the V2533-A5 for the Airbus A321 was developed first, then several derated derivatives of the "A5" were developed: V2524-A5 (Airbus 319); V2527-A5 (A320); V2535-E5 (Embraer KC-390 military transport).

The naming convention is obvious: V25xx-y5, where the "xx" is the thrust in thousands of lbs, and the "y" designates the aircraft manufacturer the engine is targeted for (A=Airbus; D=Douglas; E=Embraer).

Wikipedia states the differences of the D5 engine are the "Engine Turbine and Accessory on the side instead of bottom to accommodate side mount. Also has an option in the cockpit to add 3K extra lbf in case of Hot and High conditions."

I'm sure there are differences, but when it comes to engine overhaul, the location of the accessories may not be significant. The fan, compressors, burner, and turbines are probably identical to the V2500-A5 engines. Certainly the overhaul company requires compatible test stands, and perhaps the New Zealand company is one of the few to have them. But my guess is the New Zealand company won the contract based on cost.