FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United in Seattle?
View Single Post
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:22 am
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by evergrn
Don't really need this snide remark.
What I posted is nothing more than what I wish for.
I want winning lottery tickets. It doesn't mean they are real possibilities just because I want them.

Also I expressed no illusions about UA turning SEA into a hub or focus city. If UA would add on several more flights a day on select routes, that would help and also it could make sense for UA.
"Adding several more flights a day on select routes" that aren't UA hubs is pretty much the definition of "focus city". Hawaii service in markets served by three carriers (AS, DL, HA) doesn't make any sense except to add capacity and drive down prices. Neither does TYO.

There're only 2 nonstops to TYO by the way (3 to ICN). About 5 years ago, there were 4 nonstops to TYO and that was too much. But I would think a 3rd nonstop would do well, esp if it's Star or OneWorld.
JL is starting service, DL and NH have it. So UA would be a fourth. DL just dropped SEA-HKG (CX picked it up, but they have a hub on one end and an AS partnership on the other) so it's not like SEA is some amazing fountain of riches for airlines with Asia service (and DL has feed in SEA, UA wouldn't, unless it's cheap FTers or Kayakers trying to get XXX-SEA-TYO cheaper than XXX-TYO, XXX being a UA hub). BR dropped a SEA-TPE frequency not too long ago as well.

Originally Posted by jsloan
How is DL adding service at RDU any different than UA adding service at SEA? Neither make much sense... except as an additional connection point to allow them to expand without trying to push even more capacity through their main hub. The problem is that SEA isn't a particularly useful connection point from anywhere.
RDU is a fairly open airport with no airline close to 50% and a bunch of competitors bunched close together, like BOS, where DL could just selectively add service to new destinations and not be running against an airline that already serves a route (or only one competitor). This is different from SEA, where AS and DL between them are at something over 70% and UA is way back at 6%.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Aug 14, 2018 at 11:30 am