FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EXP for 2019 going free agent - Warning YMMV
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:00 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
I can appreciate the sentiment. In my recent experience, especially if you're doing runs to Europe, AA is actually a better in-flight product than even many EU carriers. I like it better than Club World. Better than AF J (A380, at least). Better than KL, AY, IB, LH. So being free agent certainly has its upside, as it allows you to shop the best product and price, you might still find at least on the product point that AA is still the winner there. Rarely is it the winner on price.

An aside, but booking Air+Hotel packages on Expedia, Orbitz or even directly through the airline can often result in significant cost savings, especially if you choose to travel in J. It's not always a consistent alliance or carrier, so it's great for a free agent. I bagged a $1950 air and hotel special to Mumbai from LAX next year (work-related) on Virgin Upper Class, booked via Marriott Vacations. Several nights at the JW Marriott Mumbai included. Something to consider for your bucket list exploration! Congrats on a life well-lived and hope your free agent years are many and memorable.