FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pros and Cons of UA 60k 789 Polaris vs. Lufthansa 70k A380 Business class?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:35 pm
findark
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by EWR764
Generally I don't find LH biz to be worth the premium over UA unless the flight is exactly the time I want, or for some other reason a UA option isn't workable.

It's a good product, but I'd rather pocket the 10k, in this case. The 787 Polaris product is pretty similar to LH A380 J, and I prefer UA bedding (although LH has improved in this department markedly).
I'm in agreement here and think UA is the strong favorite in order to save 10k miles. I've done most of my long-haul flying on UA and LH.

UA 789 pros (note this is 2-2-2 sCO J and not the new Polaris seat):
- Better cabin comfort (Dreamliner humidity and pressure)
- Better bedding
- Better aisle access (the all-aisle access seats on the LH 380 have the "footsie" problem which is not a deal-breaker but is just really dumb since it was eminently avoidable, but not as bad as the 748 where all seats do this and the climb-out is challenging from the window because the seats meet)
- Better ice cream

LH 388 pros:
- Better service, on average (LH is consistently good, UA is sometimes outstanding but often mediocre)
- Better wine and cheese

Overall I'd consider the two roughly a wash, which is why I think UA is a clear winner for 10k fewer miles.