FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:10 pm
tods27

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I stand by Marriott changing how years count without any notice and that next week we will not find retroactive changes where soft landings do not count. Marriott is transparent, honest and upfront. It would be out of character for them to suddenly make this change and would result in ill will they would not want. Going forward may prove to be different, but I still do not expect changes on already past awarded years. It would be very disappointing to see a surprise like this foisted on members.
I would be disappointed as well. I do fully expect that, moving forward, they will adopt a set of rules that exclude gifted years (as SPG did) and certain other years. I also expect that this will be in the fine print, as SPG kept it in the fine print. We will see in a week.

From the draft T&Cs that are circulating in other threads:
An “Eligible Status Year” is a calendar year during which a Member obtained Elite membership status (Silver Elite, Gold Elite, Platinum Elite or Platinum Premier Elite) by achieving the Silver Elite, Gold Elite, Platinum Elite or Platinum Premier Elite Minimum Requirement during such Eligible Status Year.
Note that this specifically states that you must meet the minimum requirements (defined previously in the T&Cs). I would say that this means they will exclude gifted years in the future, assuming that the links are to the real T&Cs

Last edited by tods27; Aug 13, 2018 at 4:44 pm