FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:47 pm
Ord Liza

Originally Posted by CJKatl
I stand by Marriott changing how years count without any notice and that next week we will not find retroactive changes where soft landings do not count. Marriott is transparent, honest and upfront. It would be out of character for them to suddenly make this change and would result in ill will they would not want. Going forward may prove to be different, but I still do not expect changes on already past awarded years. It would be very disappointing to see a surprise like this foisted on members.
Did you mean "not changing"?

Also, while I think it unlikely that, for example, Marriott will explicitly say that soft landings in the past will not count toward our years of elite, I think it quite possible that this could be the result in some cases by applying to the past years the new program's way of counting years of status. I certainly hope this doesn't happen, but they might not see the two as being the same action even though they could have the same result. That being said, for what it's worth (probably not much), every Marriott agent I spoke with about the number of years of status, talked about the length of time I've had status as opposed to how many times I have qualified.