FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:47 am
tods27

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by teach42
Yes, I had one year of platinum SPG previously. Other than that, your math is correct. So IF I hit Marriott Platnium this year and hit SPG Platinum, that would net me 9 years 11 months 3 weeks. Makes me nervous whether they would roll that up or not.

I'm about to jump on the phone with Marriott again (bracing myself for 30 minutes of hold time) to ask about Gold status. I"m positive I've been gold several other years.

So is the correct math (# of years MR Gold) + (# of years MR Plat) + (# of years SPG Plat) = 10 or more to hit new Lifetime Platinum?
I don't understand the "roll up" comment at all. This is not based on time at a level, but years that you qualified for a level. If you have qualified for 9 years, it's 9 years. It doesn't matter when during the year you qualified, or how far into the current year you are (assuming you haven't qualified this year).

As for the proprietary nature of the year count (from earlier posts), this is exactly what CJKatl disagreed on a long time ago. I posited that some years (e.g. soft landings) would not count in the number of years in the LT calculation, but there is no real information on whether this would be the case or not. When they say "proprietary", that leads me to again believe that there is more than just the comped status (SPG to MR or vice-versa) that could be held out of the calculation.