FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:16 am
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer

Fascinating. They seem to be expecting to completely botch this integration right out of the gate (it is a pretty tall order, to be completely fair). I honestly have no idea what to expect at this point. I have at least an earned Plat year w/ SPG along side of an earned Plat year w/ MR in 2017. I believe there were other earned MR Gold or above years going back even further than 2008, which I think is as far as the rep looked back (once she herself was satisfied that I would be LTPP, that was pretty much the end of it). 2018 will be a combined Plat year at the very least.

I’m just annoyed by the whole proprietary notion - by now they have to have an idea of at least how they intend to mete out credit, so why not clarify that for long-standing loyal members? Arg.
Yes, it's a big project. I suspect they have learned from previous such IT changes not everything works as they expect and rightly so reserve the right to roll things back to what they should be. So UNLESS there is a strong reason to do so, I suggest holding off jumping into the deep end too quickly and leave your accounts separated to see how it goes. If the transfer of our SPG data does not go well, it will easier to fix just that than sort out MR and SPG data. Again, if there is no compelling reason to merge, then don't. If managing two accounts in the same website to too much to handle, or if your status jump is significant and you have stays coming up in the near future, then merging may be the right thing to do. I do spout caution, especially when it doesn't cost anything.

And yes, I get annoyed when the term "proprietary" is thrown out there. I don't know if it's synonymous with "I don't know and don't want to look it up" (kinda like FAs saying it's for security purposes), of if it's a situation where the information will lead you believe the numbers are manufactured (kinda like AOL counting individual accounts as being separate users, I have three AOL accounts).