FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice needed after equipment change leaves us without bassinet seat
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:57 am
BertieBadger

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by ermen
first i sympathise with you and have to say it is bad form when BA refuse to honour original seat requests during equipment swaps, and your carefully layed plans go to ruin. absolutely should not happen.

I have a stopgap solution here.

Get 1 adult split off the booking.

Then come check-in (and please make your OH stay away and not be known to the check in agent) time, your 4yo and yourself (+ infant) should be seated together (as its BA policy to seat children with parents).
It does not solve the problem where your other half will be seated away - but at least it gives you that little more space, which in my experience makes some difference when trying to tend to an infant in a bassinet seat.
I see what you're driving at here, but isn't there a risk that the OP will end up in a worse scenario than they are now? If BA have hitherto shown reluctance to move the other passengers from 30D and 30F, is there not the possibility that in order to keep the family together the adult+2 children will be seated at the rear, and back to the scenario of a babe-in-arms for the flight? From my reading, this is essentially where BA put them after the aircraft swap but now you'll be dealing with 2 PNRs, and the OP's partner may not even get to be beside them, which is the worst of all worlds.

Permutation: get your other half upgraded (pts etc) - this should increase the chance of your neighbour wanting to do a swap
A fair point, but the original post noted Avios upgrades were out due to ticket class, so you'd be looking at change+fare difference or AUPs I guess.