FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Aug 11, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlightBOS

Originally Posted by sinfonia
Yeah, I ended up buying a fourth package for this just because I could not pass up the amazing deal for the opportunity to stay at this property that I likely would not stay at otherwise. We chose the premium suite instead of family suite because it was the same square footage and there will only be two of us. Other than that, they looked the same to me - do you know if there is any other difference?
I didn't see any difference between the premium and the family, other than the cost + extra sofa bed. Definitely book the Sea View, though; I consider that a HUGE upgrade over Garden View. That said, I try to always book the most expensive room available. Not only does it give me extra flexibility to invite additional guests down the road (my reservation is pretty far away...), I feel it also gives me a better opportunity at an upgrade to a "higher class" (whereas "Family Suite" would be the next class up for Premium).

Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
This was the one property that I thought about booking but ultimately decided not to. It was the difference between paying 540K for two Cat 1-5 TPs at the 120K mile marker vs the 390K for that package and I ultimately went with the two TPs. No regrets because I still value the airline miles more than the room points but it looks like an incredible property.
Airline miles are definitely worth more, so a good decision here. I only had 150k SPG miles to play with, so I opted for one big package. That being said, I do think you tend to get more value out of the higher tier hotels. Not that you can find value in cat 1-5, but I think its easier to get value for points at a higher tier...plus I'd never pay $800/night for a premium hotel. $100/night for a cat 5 in southeast Asia, I'm much more likely to pay out-of-pocket.