FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can Non Revs Standbys do the equivalent of EXTRASEAT?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:31 pm
FlyingNone

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by fumje
People flying nonrev do not have to list for the front cabin. There are reported to be extra fees for clearing into F/J, although I don't know what magnitude.

So here are a couple possible explanations (with arbitrarily chosen numbers for the list position):

--

SBY
8. XXX, A (1) [rev, standby for earlier flight]
9. XXX, A (2) [nonrev]
This actually happened to me (as a non-rev).......I cleared for a F-class seat on a transcon. As soon as I was settled (plane still at gate), a gate agent promptly came on board, apologized profusely but had mixed up my name with the name of someone else (XXX, J (me) and XXX,J (a well-known comedienne). I don't know if they were originally confirmed or were standing by but it was definitely "their" seat. I graciously moved back to coach (reseated there by the gate agent); we all had a good laugh. It happens.

Originally Posted by LarryJ
Non-revs don't block anything. We get whatever is left over at T-15.

Most domestic non-revs list are for economy. Most don't want to pay the fee for a higher cabin on domestic flights and, with CPUs, there are rarely any available, anyway. If we list for FC, we show up on both lists. If we list for economy, we show up only on the standby list and will be left behind if an economy seat isn't available--even if a FC seat was open.
---------
UAL does not charge non-revs a fee for higher cabins on domestic flights. Like DL, there is only airport departure fees/taxes on international flights (price depends on the international airport one is departing from, ie., departing LHR versus departing SIN is a big difference in fees).

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
I am also shocked to hear this. Care to explain why they charge you to sit upfront domestically? And what kind of range are we talkin? If those seats are "free" for elites, then they ought to be free for employees too. Sounds like a money grab to me!
------
No money grab at all. UAL does not charge non-revs a fee to sit in a higher cabin domestically. The only fees/taxes collected are when non-revs are departing international cities (all cabins). They are really airport or country departure? taxes. So whether I travel in coach or first class from an international airport, only then will a fee be charged. Deduction will vary, for example, LHR and FRA are much higher than SIN or TPE. Delta is the same.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 11, 2018 at 1:55 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member