FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:34 pm
zozeppelin

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Yes, because the categories are compressed. That doesn't mean the actual cost in points is higher.
Yes and no. Some of it is due to Cat compression, but more-so from using 6 night peak pricing as the basis plus the 1.5:1 airline transfer ratio. At lower Cats its pretty close:

A clean example would be OC5->OC7, which have the same 'standard' night prices as NC4->NC5. Upgrades price assuming difference in cert cost: old = 60k (330k-270k), new = 60k (390k-330k).

But at higher Cats it falls apart.

Another clean example would be OC7->OCT3, which would have the same standard nights prices as NC5->NC7. Upgrades price assuming difference in cert cost: old = 90k (420k-330k), new = 180k (570k-390k).

VFW has quoted an update as:

"While we plan on sharing the full conversion chart on 8/18, I can let you know that all existing certificates will convert to similarly valued categories after that date. I realize you might have more questions and we will be able to answer those soon.

As I previously wrote, we encourage members who know their travel plans to make reservations prior to August 18th. For members that are not sure of their future plans, please be advised that you will not be able to modify your certificate for an existing reservation or attach it to a new one between August 18 and September 18, 2018."

If true, that is good about getting the update on the 18th and it appears that they are thinking 'cats' and not 'points' if I interpret it correctly, which makes sense as I have previously attempted to articulated with how hotels are being distributed (for instance 98% of OC9 45k/night hotels are going to NC6 50k/night hotels and above). If they are going to announce on the 18th, hopefully they are being conservative with the 1 month blackout and can get things functional again sooner.

Now back to the original debate about round up/down of old cats 6, 8, 9, which was interrupted by the points refund Lurker comments. Hopefully they don't look at peak night prices when determining 'similar value', as that could be pretty bad (old RCT5->NC7 or OC8->NC5).

And the final question would be, for those who were 'rounded down' would they be refunded, perhaps the old Cat downgrade equivalent.