FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Explorer Card (2015 - 2021)
View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:51 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by decillion
I was approved and received a 70k mile sign up bonus in early 2017 for the old version of the Mileageplus Explorer Card. I downgraded it 1 year after (earlier in 2018) to avoid a second annual fee.

It seems they've 'upgraded' or changed it - not sure if it's now a 'new' or different card - and when I logged in online United targeted me online for a 60k mile + $0 annual fee sign up bonus.

I called Chase asking if I was eligible for this sign up bonus again even though it was within 24 months and they said no. But for some reason it's still letting me apply when I click "Get Started" on the application. Would I be at risk of not getting the sign up bonus if I applied? I only want this for the sign up bonus.
It's still the same card according to Chase. It just slightly changed benefits. They didn't change the name (and that's a big clue that they still consider it the same card). The rule is still that it has to be 24+ months since you last earned the bonus for this same card (UA Explorer), and you no longer have the card. You no longer have the card (since you downgraded it), but that doesn't change the fact hat you still have to wait until 24+ months after you got the bonus from the previous card.

It lets you Apply because the online system doesn't evaluate whether you're eligible for the bonus. It is happy to let you waste a pull on being denied, or better yet approve you for a card where you'll go bonus! It's your responsibility to know and follow the rules for getting a sign up bonus if you "only want this for the sign up bonus".

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 10, 2018 at 6:58 pm