FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:49 am
baroqen

Originally Posted by jvanyc
Anyone have Chinese entry experience? Do you need to still get a full visa from USA ?
Ive used the ABTC in China probably going on a hundred times over the past several years and while they're usually a bit free and easy with the one person restriction (I've often brought a single friend or co-worker with me, although the rules specifically state it's just for the holder) as well as with the purpose of the visit (I only have a tourist visa and always check "visit" on my entry cards), they are NEVER free and easy with the visa requirement. You don't have to get the visa from the US, you can get it almost anywhere they have a consulate, but you must have one. That said, if you're a US citizen, you can get a 10 year multiple entry tourist visa for the same price that the former 1-2 year visas were.
I'm also a bit concerned with all the issues that Trump has been stirring up with China, so at some point they might decide to start hassling US travelers but so far the most serious issues have only been with "newbies" that hadn't encountered the transitional card with no visas on the back. They suddenly become confused, but a call to a supervisor sorts this out.