FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:35 pm
jiejie

Programs: various
Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
Have gotten great advice but just wanted to make sure my thinking was current.

This is the first time I have a roundtrip ticket from USA to PEK with the following routing BOS-NRT (Tokyo) -PEK and returning PEK-ORD. I have a separate nested roundtrip ticket from PEK to HKG.

Am I allowed to go back from HKG-PEK and then from PEK back to USA with a TWOV for US passport holder?

Before my trips were all one way into China and not returning. Duration of the stay inbound and outbound in PEK would be 48 hours total.

Thanks in advance!
Yes, if I understand your flight sequence correctly. China is concerned about:
1) First Pass: NRT - PEK - HKG. That meets TWOV routing requirements, so as long as you are not more than 144 hours on this pass, you're fine.
2) Second Pass: HKG - PEK - ORD. Ditto above. This will be a new restart of the 144 hour clock. There is no minimum stay requirement in Hong Kong.

Make sure you have printouts of the nested ticket available to show check-in staff in BOS (and/or NRT) as well as Chinese Immigration. And on the return, you'll need to show your ticketed return to the USA to staff in HKG and again at Chinese Immigration.