FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice for Best Economy & Business Flights to New Zealand & Australia
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:04 am
CPMaverick

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by cbrmanf4
Overall, I don't feel like we have any "good" options so I'm hoping folks here can help advise us.
There are actually a couple good options. The 9-wide 777s that DL and VA have on this route are above average for a Y class experience. And VA tends to have a very good soft product. VA also offers cash upgrades (bidding process)to Premium Economy and Business (space available of course). PE will be around $500 pp each way and J will be around $1500 pp each way. Not a bad way to get a J seat if you can't get an award.

VA also typically releases J seats close to the date of travel. If you found an open J seat, you could pay the award change fee and book that (assuming you have the points).

My best hope for premium seats is probably waitlisting for the UA flights in J.

1) Do we have any chance waitlisting onto J with UA for SFO-AKL (Friday, Nov 2) and SYD-SFO (Sunday, Thanksgiving weekend, Nov 25)?
This is generally a slow travel time to Australia. There is no Thanksgiving in Oz of course, so it's just a regular weekend but so close to Christmas/summer that few Australians would be traveling. Couple that with few US business travelers traveling to Oz around this time, and your odds are definitely better than average. Unfortunately, these flights are typically full in J so no guarantees even with the favorable dates.

2) Is it worth redeeming miles for these economy flights? They seem like poor redemption values to me, but the revenue tickets don't look a whole lot better either.
I don't really understand this statement. Generally deciding whether it is worth using miles depends on the revenue ticket price (cents per mile). If revenue tickets are highly priced, this makes award tickets a better value not worse. That said, there have been some stellar deals on this route lately for revenue tickets. Again, just use cents per mile as your guide (search here for what people consider a 'good deal' it's a whole different topic

3) If going with revenue, is it worth the extra $400 to fly NZ economy over UA economy on the way home?
NZ in economy is not a good hard product. The service can be much better than UA. Both are poor choices IMO so I'd only spend the $$ on NZ if the routing was much better.

4) Am I missing any other obvious award options (besides UA, QF, NZ)? Here's my mileage bank to draw from: AA=270k, ChaseUR=375k+200k, AmexMR=160k, SQ=28k, AS=13k, UA=5k, DL=44k
SQ points can be used for VA. I'm not sure on the redemption rates, or how easily you can transfer points to SQ from your other balances. DL points can also be used for VA so you may be able to patch a VA itinerary together.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Aug 9, 2018 at 3:09 am