FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official Announcement: SPG and Marriott Programs to Merge on August 18th
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:33 pm
ftrichard

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by ben-y
What happens to people who are in the middle of a stay on the 18th? Consider the case of someone with 40 Marriott nights and 10 SPG nights, who checks into a Marriott/Starwood on Aug 17, with a checkout date of Aug 20, and with no status from last year. So that person would be Marriott Silver and Starwood SIlver at checkin time. On Aug 18 (or whenever the systems come up again), the person combines the accounts, and, with 50 combined nights, is now Platinum in the new program.

Does that person get guaranteed 4pm checkout on the 20th?
I think you should discuss this with the hotel directly on August 18 after you've been the first in the world to bravely combine your accounts and have your new (combined) Platinum status resplendently showing on the new (combined) SPG app. Only nine days to go...

I think your case is no different to, for example, someone who checks in with 48 nights (Gold) for a four-night stay and technically qualifies as Platinum during that stay after the second night. The status will not show up until the stay's nights have posted after check out. In such a case, I'd guess it's up to the hotel to grant you Platinum benefits on the 3rd and 4th night. Good luck with that, eh.