FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Very hard landing
View Single Post
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:05 am
All She Wrote

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold

Originally Posted by Waterhorse

Absolutely, aerobraking is not an approved technique on the A320 series, try it in a 321 and you will scrape the tail, an A320 wont be pretty either.

The usual reason on the 320 series for a nose in the air is as described, a late, snatched flare which drives the mainwheels into the ground, the nose up from the flare input is stil active, this is compounded by the spoiler deployment which causes a further nose up input. It is something to be aware of and to guard against on the A320, indeed in a A321 should the pitch angle reach 7.5 degrees noseup the pilot monitoring calls a warning, as a tailscraoe is now highly likely should any further noseup attitude happen.
I was taxiing off 34R in Rome the other day and saw an Alitalia 319 doing a flap 3 landing come within a foot or two of scraping the tail, quite a lot of thermals on final approach that day, reckon it went into flare with around 7.5 degrees pitch and was well over 10 when the spoilers went out, very firm touch down so could well have been a similar situation to that experienced by the op here.

I’ve always found the carbon brakes to be great, yet to not have the decel light come on after landing in the required time (admittedly don’t fly to many colder destinations though so not many contaminated runways), in the summer season at warmer destinations with short runways on each end of the flight the temperature control is a bit of a pain, I’ve seen them pushing towards 500 degrees once or twice even with the brake fans on after landing.

Originally Posted by fredc84
Nope, that's why pilots actually CONTROL the airplane.
Refer to above quote, the tailstrike risk doesn’t justify the increase in drag

Last edited by All She Wrote; Aug 8, 2018 at 6:54 am Reason: Typo