FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone built or purchased a house in Japan?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:17 am
groovbusta

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Originally Posted by evergrn
Also, I wonder why the situation is so very different in Honshu resort markets such as Echigo Yuzawa where there's plenty of skiing and great access to Tokyo and yet you see zero new developments and a whole bunch of bubble-era 30yo mansions being offered dirt-cheap?
I think there are two major differences between the Hokkaido and Yuzawa ski markets. First, the snow quality and advanced ski/snowboard terrain available in Hokkaido attracts many more foreigners than the Yuzawa area resorts. The amount of backcountry open in Hokkaido is the main reason why I almost exclusively ski/snowboard there and I know that's a big reason why foreigners return year after year. My experience is that most Japanese are happy to stay on the groomed runs and don't care about the deep powder tree runs that Hokkaido has to offer.

Secondly, the Hokkaido resorts are just way more foreigner/English friendly. While it was still a bit of a hidden gem when I started going 15 years ago, today, the infrastructure is heavily geared to the foreigner market and it's just easier to book a hotel/villa, rent gear, get lessons, order food, etc. in English. You probably don't even need to speak Japanese at all during your stay in Hokkaido/Niseko and feeling comfortable is important when you're on holiday for a week or two.