FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Protea Livingstone Hotel near Victoria Falls, Zambia [Master Thread]
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:38 am
SanDiego1K
Community Director Emerita

We have now stayed for 2 nights at the hotel (2 rooms/night). I agree with the very positive reviews given above. This hotel is superb value at the very low points that Marriott charges for redemption. It took roughly 20 minutes to get here from the airport. The hotel is set alongside the main road outside of town but the landscaping makes it seem very quiet. The lobby is open to the air and has an understated colonial ambiance. Staff is excellent, very warm, very helpful. In addition to the other benefits already listed, we were given ponchos for the falls. What a nice amenity.

King rooms are all on the second floor. There are no elevators in the hotel. The room is comfortable though I would prefer a better padded chair. Also, the mattress lacks. You can feel the coils. Still, these are small things.

The falls are still very high in August. From Knife's Edge Bridge to the tiny island beyond, the mist drenches one including shoes. We stayed dry up to the bridge and had superb views of the falling water. It was a beautiful time to see the falls and should continue to be lovely well into the northern fall. We were told that the waters are very low from November thru January.

I recommend Zambezi Cafe in town. It has an extensive menu of African and Caribbean food. We passed on the worms - but there were plenty of more familiar choices.

We hired Dennis (email given above) for pick up and drop off at the airport ($20 per transfer) as well as half day driving in Livingstone. This included taking us to the falls, walking us inside and orienting us, taking us to Livingstone Museum, the most important museum in the country, and lunch at Zambezi Cafe. We paid $30 for roughly 4 hours.