FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)
View Single Post
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:01 am
Kaix

Programs: AA PPRO, Hyatt Globalist
Visa appears to have updated the rule language for disputing transactions involving DCC for transactions processed on or after April 14, 2018.

Check out the Visa Product and Service Rules, Chapter 11, section 11.9.3.1 (page 694 of the document)
https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/downlo...les-public.pdf

Most chargebacks involving DCC would probably fall under this language:
"Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) occurred and the Cardholder did not agree to DCC and did not make an active choice or was refused the choice of paying in the Merchant's local currency."

However, of interest is the section following: 11.9.3.2, which indicates under Dispute Rights:
"The Dispute applies for the entire Transaction amount."

I reside in Hong Kong part of the year and am constantly having restaurants charge me in USD (I use US-based cards with a 0% fee), even though I have specifically checked the box to be charged in HKD on the receipt. I even have the carbon copy of the receipt where it clearly shows that I have checked the box. I'm so tired of this... based on the official Visa language above, does anyone think the US card issuers would honor a chargeback for the entire amount? I haven't tried this yet, but have had success in the past with disputing a partial amount (the DCC mark-up).