FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official Announcement: SPG and Marriott Programs to Merge on August 18th
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:32 pm
CJKatl

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Assimilated Cajun
... if the Starwood web site -- or whatever web site I get after August 18 when I log in with my new SPG credentials -- starts to allow booking of Marriott properties after August 18, and I defer combining my two accounts and book a mix of Marriott and Starwood properties using my new SPG number, will those Marriott stays count toward the 25 stays I need for a year of SPG Plat status?
First, whether your accounts are merged has NOTHING to do with qualifying under the legacy rules. William made this clear, again, in Post #156 . There are a couple posters spreading the baseless rumor that it might, one of whom thinks he remembers somebody once posting that it would although he cannot remember whom or find the post and another poster who thinks at this late date Marriott IT will discover they cannot program simple counters so the rule will be changed. Both theories are baseless. Combining or not combining accounts will have no impact on qualifying under legacy rules.

All indications are the system will be able to identify which hotels are legacy SPG and count accordingly no matter how the reservation was made.