FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone built or purchased a house in Japan?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:29 am
evergrn

When I went skiing in Kiroro, the new ski-in/out condominium project slated to open soon got my interest. They don't advertise the price and I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that a 2LDK is going to start at $700,000USD or so. If true, that's a stupendous price for that type of location in rural Jpn. Any possibility of a purchase or even looking into it went out the window instantly. Then again, it shouldn't surprise anyone when you look at home prices in Niseko.

Anyways, I recently googled them and there is no info at all in Japanese.
Yu Kiroro | Luxury Ski-in Ski-Out Apartments for Sale in Hokkaido Japan

Come to think, all the real estate brochures I saw in Niseko were in English only, I think.

I wonder if the upscale real estate in Hokkaido resort market strictly geared towards foreign clientele and doesn't even give Japanese a hoot? If so, that is a very interesting phenomenon, and resort areas in Hokkaido should continue to evolve uniquely.
Also, I wonder why the situation is so very different in Honshu resort markets such as Echigo Yuzawa where there's plenty of skiing and great access to Tokyo and yet you see zero new developments and a whole bunch of bubble-era 30yo mansions being offered dirt-cheap?

The dirt-cheap Echigo Yuzawa are just money pits and these new Hokkaido properties are just going to follow in the footsteps of what happened in E.Yuzawa? Or, these Hokkaido properties are rightfully priced and the currently cheap E.Yuzawa listings are golden opportunities? Would love to get opinions from someone who knows Jpn real estate situation.