FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is wrong with AF ops these days? Breakdown on all fronts...
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:16 am
brunos
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
@SanGottardo : my experience this summer is roughly similar as your, apart the waiting time on the phone (I believe the Ulti line has the priority). I have never seen such a mess like this summer. I have reported in the Ulti thread my bag problem in BOS that has been handled poorly. I have followed the BOS operations closely for the last 10 days, and it’s been horribly messy with several cancelled flights and the majority of the others severely delayed (2 to 6 hrs !). And today is no exception . The Ulti team has been helpful today in accepting my demand of changing flight from BOS to avoid several new trip disasters (at least I hope...!), waiving change fee due to all the irrops. But what a pain...

There is no more captain at the top of the company for several weeks now and they need a strong one very quickly.
I have been back for the summer since early June and criss-crossed Europe/France (and entertained family). I have never had such bad experience with AF. And NCE airport, my holiday base, has become a AF mess like never before. Maybe Orbitmic can comment.

Your comment about the lack of "captain" in the past few weeks is interesting. A company with over 40,000 employees (AF only) and every management level filled, except for the big CEO, should not experience daily operational difficulties after a few weeks. This has little to do with the CEO which is nothing like an operational "captain". But you are right that the fruit will keep rotting until the situation is frontally addressed by a new management team. The staff is showing a lot of ill-will following the recent saga, and it is quite understandable. They "actively" let the situation deteriorate,

All airlines had to improve productivity, thereby creating ill-will among its staff. But a successful airline has to overcome it. AA and DL went through a rough time. But they ended up generating huge profits that they partly shared with happier employees. A dramatic turnaround in the quality of their product.
BA and LH had/have their share of problems. But IAG has a H1 2018 operating profit of EUR1,115 million. LH is also over 1 billion.
AFKL H1 operating profit stands at 228 with a net loss of 159. KL operating results is 388, so we can guess that AF operating loss is 168. It is hard to see where AF money would come from to make their employees happier, while what is badly needed is productivity gains.