FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is wrong with AF ops these days? Breakdown on all fronts...
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:35 am
Andy82

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Here's my recent experience with quite significant number of AF flights in medium haul C class with AF (~900 XP this year up to now). I used to fly KL on long haul - but this might change in the future.

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
  • My past 14 flights in the months of June and July were *all* delayed on arrival, between 25 minutes and 4 hours. And I observed numerous other flights with similar delays
I had similar experience, though not 4 hours but at most 2. Though I've lost no connection, I had multiple times to run to the gate or arrived home with significant delay. I mentioned this to the purser of my last time and she was super frustrated as well. She did not blame flight control explicitly though - she said that most of the troubles in CDG and around europe were due to frequent bad weather / thunderstorms, and I must say that a few times that was consistent with my experience.

• Phone lines: they (Platinum line) don't pick up! Given up several times, other times answered after 10-15 minutes, sometimes longer - see picture, and I was still listening to music
Didn't experience this at least in Switzerland during their opening hours, when I usually call.

• Promises of assistance during short connex are made - and then nobody turns up
Never got any promise, nor any assistance.

• Call center agents make mistakes in calculating fares, repeatedly
  • Big discrepancy in fare conditions and price between phone channel and website
Yes and no. The Swiss PSL often has troubles finding some fares - but they helped me solve website issues a couple of times regarding fares. Two times at least - one was a long haul fight in J - the website would give me a price but then fail on payment. The PSL could not find the same fare for the very same flights I wanted, but they trusted my screenshot and guaranteed me that price.

• Lounges completely overcrowded, cleaning and getting tables ready no longer happens/too infrequently
Yes, it happened to me that they were significantly overcrowded, but I was always able to find a seat, at least in the awful ones in 2F and the cute one in 2G.
Cleaning was okay, but it was evident to me that the staff was really bored and upset - probably the lounges are relatively understaffed for cleaning.

• Planes not fully loaded with catering and amenities, on at least five out of ten flights
Never happened to me, at least with catering on C class. The only time that the purser was sure to not have my plate in C (because I was moved to an earlier flight) she explicitly called catering service and she got my plate a few minutes before closing the door.

• Seat assignments get changed last minute frequently
Never happened to me at all, but again, I flew mostly medium haul C with AF. And 99% I select first row, so 1F or 1A/2A.