FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Husband, 10 & 12 year old daughters kicked off flight and abandoned in Rome
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:16 am
LeisureMiler

Programs: AP 1992- , AC SE1MM, NEXUS, GE, TD Visa Infinite Privilege, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by vbnet
I'm wondering if op was beyond on board baggage allowance and that is what in reality set the whole ball of wax rolling without actually being addressed. FA may have felt that if op wanted to bring that much on board it was his problem.
Lots has been said about the helpful nature of FAs and their role handling cabin luggage.

The specifics of this, if read carefully:
  • FA helped first kid of her own initiative because bag was already up but misaligned (a security issue, cuz the bin won't close, btw)
  • OP sees this and asks for help with second child's bag without first helping second child himself (the proverbial give them a hand, they'll take your arm with it)
What next? After OP's request for a service he doesn't need more than anybody else on the plane (he's quite fit from his salon owner / artistic director picture), neighbour sees this and asks for help with his bag and so on and so forth? Yes, one of the responsibility of FA might be helping with luggage. But the concept of "helping" is first help yourself. If you don't need help, if you can do it yourself, it's not asking for help, it's asking for the execution of an obligation. Important nuance here, because if it is an obligation, and not "help" in its true sense, well then my next flight might be a little delayed after the FAs have put 400+ cabin luggage and shopping bags in the overhead bins and under the seats everywhere

That's not how it works. FA's responsibility at that point is getting people on board and seated as fast as possible, and probably much more (you know as well as I do how many "valid" pax requests are made during the boarding period, whether it's switching seats, a glass of water to take some medication, access to the lavatory, "I can't find my seat", "that person is in my seat and won't move" or the most common, the bin is full where can I put my bag (as the space under the seat in front of pax is empty)), depending on her specific assignment in Y, before then securing cabin. That requires the collaboration of everybody on board, including everyone finding their seat, minding their own bags and children. Once in a while, someone needs help, and whether it's you, me or an FA, we've all graciously provided such help.

And why "Husband" exactly...? Why not "Father"?