FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Just a little warning folks . . . . .
View Single Post
Old Aug 11, 2000, 1:52 am
ozstamps
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
There is IMHO far too much easily available info on private individuals on the web/

If any of you care to go to the AOL White pages at:
http://www.aol.com/netfind/whitepages.adp

and type your name and town in, it will of course in most instances give your street address and phone and fax, and email etc.

Displayed on TOP of that info in every case I have accessed it, you can choose to click onto this banner link below that lets you check on your own (or of course anyone else's):

Criminal Record
DMV Record,
Background Checks
Credit Report
http://www.spyheadquarters.com/aff/813/

I personally do not agree that such data should be easily available via perfectly legitimate on-line directories such as AOL, but they ARE and I was just pointing out this fact, as many do not realise this stuff is out there, and readily obtainable. All you need is a town/suburb location and a name, especially with middle initial, and you are almost there.

I have never used that service, and have never had need to, and certainly was not implying anything whatever re Freeflyer or anyone else, for their reasons to stay "private". It was just just his posting on this very thread saying he wanted to stay private did NOT seem to be doing that, given the capability on these search engines, and I guess that is a warning to us all.

MAULD .... I agree with you. I was not being paranoid at all .... simply demonstrating that some caution might be useful for some posters on these boards. As mentioned above, if I were an airline there are things I've seen posted that would justify having some individuals points/membership rights revoked. The person/s posting in those cases clearly had no expectation that threads are sometimes closely monitored by the same people they are bragging about "conning"!

Yes, I appreciated the explanatory email from Starwood. I got another e-mail this morning from a reporter from the Wall Street Journal seeking an OK to print something I posted on another thread. As you say, this kind of thing is not uncommon. CAUTION in what is posted re rules, loopholes etc is all I was even trying to bring attention to!

Passing on of info is what we are all here on this board for I guess. Just that some limits and common sense at times might be wise to be observed.