FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Husband, 10 & 12 year old daughters kicked off flight and abandoned in Rome
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:57 am
FlyerTalker70

Originally Posted by fairhsa
In your case, you left from EUROPE, which actually has rules about this crap. I don't know if they apply to tickets purchased in Canada, but if I were you I might investigate the EU rules and see if there is anything there which can help.
We can't have rules like that in Canada, if we did our airfares would be sky high in Europe like the hundreds if not thousands of dollars spent on domestic and intra-European....wait a minute! The truth of the matter is we don't have much effective competition in North America. There's a reason why RyanAir is triple the size of BA! Whereas Europe has RyanAir and EasyJet, we've got oligopolist in Canada who control the entire domestic market (and to some extent by virtue of alliances and interline agreements international travel through Canada). The US has slightly more competition but all the ULCC are limited to regional airports and not major hubs like SJC (for NorCal) or MKE (for Chicago). Hence, while there is more downward price pressure in the US it's not to the same extent as you see in Europe (aside from the occasional error fares).

Safe Travels,

James