FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:49 pm
eracerblue

Originally Posted by mgn2000
From The Globe and Mail Aug 1 8:48 pm EDT
Aeroplan’s parent company, Aimia Inc., is in partnership talks with the Oneworld airline alliance as it fends off a hostile takeover bid from Air Canada and three financial partners.The talks, which Aimia confirmed on Wednesday, extend the company’s efforts to reposition Aeroplan once its contract with Air Canada expires in 2020.<snip>Behind the scenes, Aimia has also been negotiating a new partnership with the Oneworld alliance, whose member airlines include British Airways, American Airlines and Cathay Pacific. Oneworld is a direct competitor to Star Alliance, of which Air Canada is a member.“I can confirm that we are in discussions with Oneworld as a potential preferred airline partner,” an Aimia spokesperson wrote in an e-mail to The Globe and Mail.The negotiations are continuing and may not result in a partnership...
oh snap.

Except, wait. This does nothing but shed a little light on what we knew they were doing anyway: discussing partnerships.

Does the Potential Preferred Airline Partner (PPAP) status level come with bonus points and a drink coupon code? If I make it to the Potential Platinum Preferred Airline Partner (PPPAP) level, can I get some true IKK love and actually find availability at the rates you claim?

They're buying time, sure. But little else. Could the whole OneWorld thing be workable? Sure, and the gamble may pay off handsomely. Or it may go bust. However at this point every day that AE drags talks with AC on, the more prepared AC is to wholly go it on their own, the less likely AE will get a fair value, or simply be left to wither in the cold.

It's another way of saying, "now give us your real offer Air Canada + financial friends." To be honest, I already consider my >>$2,300 in points pretty much stranded, and value the AeroPesoPlan brand accordingly. Therefore, I can't see AC upping the ante much.

It is however, turning out to be somewhat more interesting than I would have guessed.