FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Refusing to handle other people's luggage in the overhead bin?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:26 pm
davie355

Refusing to handle other people's luggage in the overhead bin?

Upon gate arrival, while I'm standing in the aisle waiting to deplane, a passenger in front of me asks whether I can grab her bag from the overhead bin.

I say sure. She points to a normal-sized rollaboard a couple of rows behind me. Why not ask the people sitting in that row to get your bag? I thought. Whatever. Using one hand, I reach behind my shoulder, grab the handle, and expect the bag to slide out easily. Turns out the bag is incredibly heavy (no carry-on weight limits on domestic US flights) and I am knocked off balance. My shoulder muscles are strained. "Jesus Christ!" I exclaim reflexively.

"Watch out, it's heavy," the passenger says. No kidding? Is this the type of person to signal a lane change after changing langes?

I then use two hands, grab the bag, and set it down in the aisle. She says thanks, I smile and nod, and proceed to hate myself.

How can I decline to retrieve other people's bags in the future without coming off impolite?