FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gay couple forced to move plane seats to make way for straight couple to sit together
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:28 pm
nearlysober

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Regarding the "keeping families together" policy... I've seen GA's do gymnastics trying to move people around to allow people to sit together, especially parents & kids (which is nice). Of course if airlines would just let these families book together instead of only offering them middle seats throughout the plane, that'd also be nice.

I usually fly with friends. We always try to sit next to each other, but we're usually on separate PNRs. Despite booking together, we'll sometimes get moved around. Bumped up or back a row. Usually keeping our same window or aisle seat but in a new row and never being bumped completely down a cabin.

I assume most those small moves are because they look at the ticket and think "Is this guy really gonna care if he's in 8C instead of 7C?" and 99% of the time is - no I don't care. If that let a couple sit together, or a parent with a child - cool.

We still don't know if this couple was on the same PNR, or the whole back story... so its hard to place blame with anyone. Seating mishaps happen, its part of flying. Be an adult, work with your surroundings, and get on with life.

Last edited by nearlysober; Jul 31, 2018 at 4:48 pm