FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:05 am
sinfonia

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by tth6133
This is somewhat off topic, but might be useful to people who are deciding where to credit the flight portion of TPs they're about to purchase. Each frequent flyer program has its pros and cons, of course. Here's a brief summary of the four programs most often used for TP transfers:

1) AS - Pros: Currently the most valuable currency. Great for transpacific flights (on CX, JL, etc). Stopover on one-way flights. Good domestic flights (including Hawaii) if you live on the West ]Coast. Cons: Award availability sometimes scarce on partners. Devaluation is likely on the horizon soon.
2) UA - Pros: Lots of partners. No fuel surcharges. Excursion perk for those can take advantage of it. Short distance intra-region flights outside of US. Cons: Awards on partners cost more in J/F.
3) AC (AP) - Pros: Generous stopover rules on RT flights. Reasonable award pricing on transatlantic flights. Cons: Fuel surcharges on its own metal and most partners. Uncertainty beyond 2020. Miles expire in just 1 year and not as easy to extend for those not living in Canada.
4) BA (Avios) - Pros: Great for short-distance direct flights (especially outside of US). Cons: Exorbitant fuel surcharges (except in regions where they're prohibited). Expensive for long-distance flights in J/F.
I find this not off-topic at all but completely relevant for helping folks like me figure out which travel package to get, so I thank you. This is a very succinct and informative summary that benefited me quite a bit. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!