FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - You want what you can't have....the demise of the Clark Bars
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:39 am
BamaVol
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Pickles
The original Cambridge NECCO factory and HQ is now a major biomedical research facility. I would be nostalgic for the NECCO stuff (not that I ever ate it), but I do miss the smell of sweets emanating from the factory as a memory of my youth. And there's nothing wrong with a biomedical research facility, really.

https://cambridgehistory.org/candy/necco.html
That reminds me of my days with The Carters Ink Company back in the mid-1970's. The Carter family moved production from an ancient brick factory on the banks of the Charles river in Cambridge to smaller plants in the South rather than cave in to union demands. The building sat empty for years. I worked in a divisional HQ after the Carter family sold the business to a larger stationery products firm in Framingham. We received calls weekly from people who wanted to know why the clock facing the river couldn't be set to tell the correct time. I wonder what happened to that prime piece of real estate.

I don't think the Necco story is over. I haven't seen a Sky Bar in many years but if I did, I would be tempted to buy one. Necco wafers and sweetshearts could still be found here in Florida at one of the dollar store chains. Maybe I should take a look at lunch and decide whether to invest in some if they haven't all been scooped up.