FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Breaking: CAN transfer bonus avios to BAEC!
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:37 am
Dfralmeida

Programs: Everything I know I register myself in
Originally Posted by goldwannabe
I possibly see some sense in going into negative balance in the Iberia account as this was stated clearly, but causing your BA account to go into negative after the accounts are merged seems highly unlikely, not least because it will give a disincentive to all the miles collectors.

And as a software developer myself, I can envisage all sorts of issues with going to a negative balance as I assume the code would have been written with '0' as the minimum. It's definitely doable but the question is, is it really worth the effort? Is there even a precedent for negative balances in miles accounts?

I wouldn't be surprised if Iberia just bit the bullet on this one and wrote it off.
I don't know the impact for them, but this is something to think about and they will never answer us with 100% precision. This is the biggest problem in the campaign. They have said that I have to spend it before December 1st, but if I issue an 100% iberia ticket on turista class that grants me the right to cancel paying a small fee, will the avios return to our account? Will they check if the Avios were already expired? No one knows for sure.