FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - You want what you can't have....the demise of the Clark Bars
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:07 am
RustyC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
The real problem with all this is that it's hard to be an independent candy maker and get distribution because of all the consolidation to either Hershey or M&M/Mars. Maybe you can go high-end and try to crack a place like Walgreen's (the Ghirardelli route), but you need something with staying power, and in a consolidation environment "success" can mean an offer to buy your brand out, but if you refuse the spurned acquirer could come up with a copycat and try to run you out (like Krackel bars vs. Nestle crunch, though Nestle is big enough globally to hang in there).

There was a lot more diversity when I was 5 or 6 years old and could ride my bike to the 7-Eleven. Milk Shake bars were a real fave. I liked the Spree rolls and Necco wafers, and the Chuckles were good as well.

I remember taking the Motown tour in Detroit about 13 years ago. In the old office they had a (non-active) preserved vending machine from 1967-ish with the pull knobs and Milk Shake, Chuckles and 3 other candy types from then in the window.