FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:56 am
mandolino

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by Duke787
Need to get a bottle of scotch for a couple of gifts. Looking for something in the $75-100 range that's fairly easy to get (NC ABC store is fairly limited so anything hard to get is going to require me ordering online and adding shipping to that cost). I'm guessing at that cost I'm looking squarely at the 15yo range with a couple in the 18yo range that might slip into that at the high end.<br /><br />The recipients certainly aren't scotch aficionados but they aren't newbies -- have had my fair of scotch with them over the years.<br /><br />Any thoughts?<br /><br />I would love to get something like a Glendronach 15 but can't find that anywhere / it's not in the $75-100 price range anymore sadly.<br /><br />As an aside Glenfiddich 18 is on sale for $100 at the NC ABC until the end of the month but I've never had so don't know if that's a legit option.<br /><br />EDIT: Just to add read a few different reddit and other threads tonight, Glenmorangie 18 Year keeps popping up. Somehow I've never even had Glenmorangie period so don't know about the 18yo. Looks like I could get it online for ~$100 including shipping (paired with another liquor order for Buffalo Trace I have to make anyway)
I had no idea what NC ABC was so I looked it up.

Wow! Worse than some Canadian provinces.
I looked up their Scotch and one that jumped out at me was Glenfarclas 105.
Glenfarclas 105 at ABC
This is a "cask strength" whisky, about 60% alcohol, but not firewater - in fact very good depth of taste. I usually have a bottle of this on the go.

It keeps this when cut back with water so might be a good introduction for your friends.

I don't really understand the pricing, but if $142.50 is for a case of 3, then that's a good price for USA.

About £35-45/litre in UK duty free when discounted, £70 ltr on Amazon UK.